YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Wednesday 14 January 2009

WALTON BITTERN STILL PRESENT

A lunchtime visit produced 1 Mallard from the (only) hide over looking the larger lake (where the Bittern was yesterday). On my second visit to the "Reed bed platform" (because the hide has been burnt down) I could hear something moving, then saw the reeds moving - then the BITTERN gave itself away by catching a prey item from the water - the white on its throat and gape clearly visible, it then walked slowly off left and deeper into the reeds and out of sight. Also 2 Water Rail calling from the reed bed (Paul Moon)