YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Monday 27 April 2009

BAR-TAILED GODWIT at Dorney Rowing Lakes

The walk down to the Seasonal Pool only produced a party of 9 Swallows heading directly west followed by a few singles and I sent Kevin a text berating my luck. Almost immediately I then spied a lone wader further up the return lake at 1500 mts. Assuming it to be a Whimbrel I got closer to confirm and was met with the sight of a BAR-TAILED GODWIT. It was moulting into summer plumage so wasn't as gaudy as the last individual I saw here and infact melted perfectly into the background at times. I'll put a couple of pics up. It seemed to fly off as I was trying for better photos. I didn't see it go and no call was made, so it might not have gone far.

As I walked back a COMMON GREENSHANK was on the Seasonal Pool after a couple of minutes it flew to the Reserve Pool (Colour ringed Red on the left below the joint and I think red above the joint on the right,but not too sure).

I then had an Oystercatcher fly over me and land on the Causeway before it flew to the Seasonal Pool.(see pic)Several more Swallows through, 4 Common Terns in 2 pairs and a Redshank (Dave Cleal)