YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Wednesday 17 June 2009

WOOD SANDPIPER present until near dusk

Over the past month I've only had a few visits to Dorney Lake and have not recorded much other than geese. After the wind picked up this afternoon I decided to make another visit tonight. Walking along the causeway between the rowing lakes the first birds seen were a small group of Canada Geese with 12 Egyptian Geese including the remaining 4 growing chicks.

Nothing seen along the Return Lake or on the Reserve Pool. At about the 1125M mark the first view of the Seasonal Pool producuced just Lapwing and Black-headed Gulls. Scanned all of the pool at 1250M and noticed a wader amongst more Lapwing. With the scope on it I was surprised it was a WOOD SANDPIPER. It was feeding happily on the daily increasing exposed mud. Still present at 21:00. From my records the 2nd for the site, the last being in May 2006.Also 2 male Teal on the Seasonal Pool and 2 Hobby over (Kevin Duncan)