YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Thursday 22 July 2010

Another wave of passage ICELANDIC BLACK-TAILED GODWITS

I made an early afternoon visit to LMGP to catch up with Graham's summer plumaged DUNLIN, which was still present roosting on the spit in front of the island. Not much else except the regular adult Oystercatcher and a Common Sandpiper. I spent some time checking out the gulls - there were about 60 large gulls and about 100 Black-headed Gulls. There was some obvious coming and going, but I eventually picked out 3 adult YELLOW-LEGGED GULLS, a third summer and a second summer. At 3:10pm, something spooked all the BH Gulls. Whilst picking out the culprit, a passing Sparrowhawk, I also noticed 4 Black-tailed Godwits flying over south - they then circled round and landed on the spit and were 4 summer plumaged adults. They continued to feed on the back of the spit opposite the island and were still there when I left at 4:10pm. Whilst checking the gulls again before leaving, I found 3 juvenile YL Gulls that were new in and the first for me at this site this year.

So:
4 Black-tailed Godwits, adult summer
1 Dunlin, adult summer
1 Common Sandpiper
1 Oystercatcher, adult
8 YELLOW-LEGGED GULLS, 3 adults, 3s, 2s, 3 juveniles
2 Common Gulls, adults

Adam Bassett

Elsewhere, a small group of ICELANDIC BLACK-TAILED GODWITS flew over Lathbury village (per Rob Norris)