YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Sunday 5 December 2010

Marlow Area today

The day started well when a single WAXWING alighted at the top of a neighbour’s line of cherry trees – a favoured spot for resting birds – at 9am. Unfortunately it only stayed for a couple of minutes before flying off low north. I watched the general area for a further 30 minutes, but no further sign. Slightly unexpected due to the absence of many berry bearing trees, but very welcome. A flock of 34 Redwings landed in the same trees before flying off into nearby woodland.

A text from Alan Stevens informed me that the party of 5 wild swans was still at Cockmarsh, Berks. I was keen to see these birds again, as the previous evening, I had only seen them at distance in almost darkness at 16:15 on LMGP when the 2 adult birds gave the impression of having restricted yellow at the base of their bills. Arriving at Cockmarsh at 11am, the herd of 5 swans (2 adults and 3 juveniles) was immediately obvious two fields west of the Bourne End foot bridge. I walked across the first field for a closer look and it was apparent that they were all BEWICK'S SWANS.

A further text from Alan informed me of a flock of 10 GOOSANDERS on LMGP. I made my way there and was walking from the car park not much after midday, but unfortunately the birds had flown. I now see that I must have missed them by a whisker (Adam Bassett)