YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Wednesday 10 August 2011

More FIRECRESTS and SPOT FLYS

Having had a couple of unsuccesful days out, it was nice to see some birds today. First up was a family party of FIRECRESTS just inside the main entrance opposite the Feathers pub. 7 or 8 were calling in holly just to the left of the entrance.All were typically elusive and impossible to see, bar one, a scruffyadult that fltted about in twigs just above my head. so close I had good views without bins. Further into the estate I connected with another family party of similar number, counted on calls. With 4 more picked up on call around the estate 20 was a minimum. My largest total on the estate. Goldcrest were noticeable by their absence with only 4 possibles. No Firecrests encountered by the Orangry Restuarant but a lively family of Coal tits, entertained.

I was going to give Mike's redstarts another go but heavy traffic into Amersham changed my plans and I stopped off at Shardeloes Lake. Initially I had 2 Spot flys at the end of the lake with several Willow/Chiff around. After a walk further along I returned and found 3 Spot flys just to the west of the lake end where the Willows pull back and there is a sedge patch in front. But on viewing the lakeend again I could only find 1. So 4 or 5 in total (Dave Cleal)