YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Sunday 7 April 2013

My first RING OUZEL







SUNDAY 7 APRIL


Easterly wind made a resurgence today, bringing back cooler conditions. Nevertheless, still pleasant birding wise, with dry, bright conditions prevailing.

SPADE OAK GRAVEL PIT (MARLOW) proved quiet for me, with no hirundines or waders to speak of, just single OYSTERCATCHER, 15 Common Snipe and a Common Kingfisher.

Picked up on news of a stunning male RING OUZEL just 8 miles north of Tring at WING. The bird was favouring an area of common land just south of the village at SP 885 225 - mainly to the west of the plantation. Mike Campbell and I obtained some excellent views of it this evening, the bird loosely associating with 2 Mistle Thrushes, 2 Redwings, a Song Thrush and 5 Common Blackbirds (see my pix above).

At THE RESERVOIRS, my best offering was 40 Redwings at Wilstone

Earlier, Dave B and Steve had a SCANDINAVIAN ROCK PIPIT briefly, with 2 Sand Martins over

College Lake produced the first Barn Swallow of the year today