YEARLISTING IN 2016

Compared to most recent years, when for example I recorded 165 species in the county in 2011, 187 in 2012 and 173 in 2013, this has been a particularly poor one with just 157 species recorded by mid December - one of my worst years on record

YEARLISTING IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

It's all over - 2012 has come to an end. I managed a total of 187 out of the 198 species recorded all told in Buckinghamshire - 94% of the total - probably my highest-ever annual tally.

The current record is 191 species achieved in 2006 and held jointly by both Rob Hill and Simon Nichols



Wednesday 22 May 2013

MARSH HARRIER at Springfield

21 May: Following Frederick's post I decided to check out the Lapwings at Springfield Landfill site. Still 4 pairs with something to protect given their reaction to me and to any predator that dares to approach. This amazingly included a Marsh Harrier!!! Not wanting to aggravate the Lapwings any more than necessary I decided to return by skirting the site around the bund. As I approached the edge of Dipple Wood a raptor came from behind the wood and crossed into the Springfield site. Initially I just assumed it was a Red Kite but as I mentally was putting it into the Kite box, it didn't fit! It was fully 70 yds beyond me before I was convinced this was no Kite. Lighter in the air with wings shaped into a V and lilting side to side as it flew with deep wing beats on a steady northerly trajectory. What confused me most was there didn't appear to be any creamy colouring on the head or inner wings, it just appeared generally chocolaty brown but the jizz was unmistaka ble, especially the ay it jinked to avoid the attention shown by the Lapwings.


I've often thought about the possibility of encountering a Harrier at Springfield but I assumed it would be a Hen Harrier in winter, this was out of the 'far side'.

Last seen heading virtually due north so would have gone up the west side of Beaconsfield

Family party of 5 Ravens as well.   Dave Cleal